We are SO FRAKKING EXCITED to share the news that Emmy-winning composer Bear McCreary is scoring the upcoming animated “Masters of the Universe: Revelation” series from Mattel Television and Kevin Smith for Netflix!
This morning, Netflix officially revealed not only McCreary’s involvement, but the first piece of music from the show. McCreary is absolutely the perfect metal maestro for this gig, and as you can see, Kevin Smith thinks so too.
You’d probably know McCreary’s work best from his numerous tv series scores- “Battlestar Galactica,” “The Walking Dead,” “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Snowpiecer,” and “Outlander” just to name a few. He also handled “Godzilla King of the Monsters,” 10 Cloverfield Lane,” and the highly acclaimed documentary “Crip Camp.” He’s collaborated with Brendon Small of Deathklok and “Metalocalypse,” as well as Serj Tankian and co. from System of a Down.
As we know from previous announcements, the voice cast is pretty jam-packed with awesome talent:
- Mark Hamill (Star Wars, Batman: The Animated Series) as Skeletor
- Lena Headey (Game of Thrones, 300) as Evil-Lyn
- Chris Wood (Supergirl, The Vampire Diaries) as Prince Adam / He-Man
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cruel Intentions) as Teela
- Liam Cunningham (Game of Thrones, Clash of the Titans) as Man-At-Arms
- Stephen Root (Office Space, Barry) as Cringer
- Diedrich Bader (Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite) as King Randor / Trap Jaw
- Griffin Newman (The Tick, Vinyl) as Orko
- Tiffany Smith (Behind Enemy Lines, Supernatural) as Andra
- Henry Rollins (Johnny Mnemonic, Lost Highway) as Tri-Klops
- Alan Oppenheimer (original Skeletor) (Westworld, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Moss Man
- Susan Eisenberg (Wonder Woman, Justice League) as Sorceress
- Alicia Silverstone (Clueless, Batman & Robin) as Queen Marlena
- Justin Long (Galaxy Quest, Live Free or Die Hard) as Roboto
- Jason Mewes (Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) as Stinkor
- Phil LaMarr (Mad TV, Justice League) as He-Ro
- Tony Todd (Candyman, Star Trek: The Next Generation) as Scare Glow
- Cree Summer (DC Super Hero Girls, Vampirina) as Priestess
- Kevin Michael Richardson (The Batman, ThunderCats) as Beast Man
- Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Crisis on Infinite Earths) as Mer-Man
- Harley Quinn Smith (Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot) as Ileena
Mattel Television has teamed up with the streaming service giant to create the series.
Marc Bernardin (Smith’s Fatman on Batman co-host as well as notable writer), Eric Carrasco (Supergirl), Diya Mishra (Magic the Gathering), and Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen) are writing the series. Powerhouse Animation, who also works on Netflix’s hit series “Castlevania,” is handling the visuals.
Smith himself had this to say when the news about “Masters of the Universe” was first announced:
“I cannot believe the lineup of talent I get to play with! The incredible, star-studded cast that Mattel’s Rob David and Netflix’s Ted Biaselli assembled for our Masters of the Universe series will let any lifelong He-Man fan know we’re treating this cartoon seriously and honoring the legendary world of Eternia with A-list talent! Chris, Sarah, Mark, Lena and the other amazing actors and actresses have given performances so powerful and real in a show that features a talking giant green tiger! With these fantastic performers behind our characters, it’ll be crazy easy to immerse yourself in the swords and sorcery of our epic sci-fi soap opera!”
“Masters of the Universe: Revelation” will hit Netflix sometime in 2021.