“Endgame” Breaks Another Record
Marvel’s Endgame has done it again. Earning $60 million dollars in its Thursday night previews, Endgame has taken the top spot for Thursday previews away from Star Wars: The Force Awakens record of $57 million in 2015.
Since the Thursday preview could count toward its opening day figures, it is highly likely that come Saturday morning Endgame will have also unseated The Force Awakens ($119.1 million) for highest opening day total. That would put it well on its way to take the top spot for opening weekend (current record holder Infinity War at $257.7 million). Worldwide predictions for Endgame go as high as $800-$900 million for opening weekend, with a distant chance to make $1 billion. If it doesn’t reach that lofty figure opening weekend, it still seems that the movie has a good chance to beat the fastest time to $1 billion and $1.5 billion as it no doubt heads on to join the over $2 billion club. The question is, can it defeat current champion Avatar ($2.7 billion) for the highest grossing movie of all time?
Records set by Endgame so far include:
- Most viewed trailer in 24 hours. It actually holds the 1st and 2nd spots for two different trailers: 289 million for the December and 268 million for the March trailers
- Most advance ticket sales in 24 hours (it beat the previous record holder in just 6 hours)
- Highest midnight box office and opening day box office in China
- Highest advance ticket sales in China
- Biggest single-day opening in multiple countries, including the UK, Brazil, Panama, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Trinidad, Uruguay, Portugal, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Serbia (non-local), Slovakia, Turkey, and Ukraine
- IMAX opening day records in 38 countries for a worldwide IMAX total of $33 million
And all of this with the longest MCU runtime.
Records still to beat:
- Opening day: Star Wars: The Force Awakens $119 million
- Opening weekend: Avengers: Infinity War $640.5 million worldwide, $257.7 million domestic
- Fastest to $500 million: Fate of the Furious in 3 days
- Fastest to $1 billion: Infinity War in 11 days
- Fastest to $1.5 billion: Infinity War in 18 days
- Fastest to $2 billion (currently only 4 films have passed this): Avatar in 47 days
- Fastest to $2.5 billion: (currently only Avatar has achieved this): 76 days
- Highest grossing film: Avatar $2.7 billion