Endgame has done it again. It may be no surprise to anyone at this point, but Endgame has taken the top spot for biggest opening day with $156.7 million Friday. The previous record holder was Star Wars: The Force Awakens at $119 million. With a projected domestic opening weekend of $340 million or more Endgame should easily take the next opening weekend record away from Infinity War. Also, the most ever collected on a single weekend at $314 million.
Records set by Endgame so far include:
- Most viewed trailer in 24 hours. It actually holds the 1st and 2nd spots for two different trailers: 289 million for the December and 268 million for the March trailers.
- Most advance ticket sales in 24 hours (it beat the previous record holder in just 6 hours)
- Highest midnight box office and opening day box office in China
- Highest advance ticket sales in China
- Biggest single-day opening in multiple countries, including the UK, Brazil, Panama, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Trinidad, Uruguay, Portugal, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Serbia (non-local), Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine
- IMAX opening day records in 38 countries for a worldwide IMAX total of $33 million
- Biggest Thursday preview: $60 million
- Biggest Opening day: $156.7 million
And all of this with the longest MCU runtime.
Records still to beat:
Opening weekend: Avengers: Infinity War $640.5 million worldwide, $257.7 million domestic
- Fastest to $500 million: Fate of the Furious in 3 days
- Fastest to $1 billion: Infinity War in 11 days
- Fastest to $1.5 billion: Infinity War in 18 days
- Fastest to $2 billion (currently only 4 films have passed this): Avatar in 47 days
- Fastest to $2.5 billion: (currently only Avatar has achieved this): 76 days
- Highest grossing film: Avatar $2.7 billion
It is possible Endgame could reach $1 billion worldwide on its opening weekend, clinching the title of fastest to $1 billion. And if so, what movie would be able to unseat it? Would a movie need to make $1 billion on opening day to be faster?