“Endgame” Makes Opening Day Record
Endgame has done it again. It may be no surprise to anyone at this point, but Endgame has taken the top spot for biggest opening day with $156.7 million Friday. The previous record holder was Star Wars: The Force Awakens at $119 million. With a projected domestic opening weekend of $340 million or more Endgame should easily take the next opening weekend record away from Infinity War. Also, the most ever collected on a single weekend at $314 million.
Records set by Endgame so far include:
- Most viewed trailer in 24 hours. It actually holds the 1st and 2nd spots for two different trailers: 289 million for the December and 268 million for the March trailers.
- Most advance ticket sales in 24 hours (it beat the previous record holder in just 6 hours)
- Highest midnight box office and opening day box office in China
- Highest advance ticket sales in China
- Biggest single-day opening in multiple countries, including the UK, Brazil, Panama, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Trinidad, Uruguay, Portugal, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Serbia (non-local), Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine
- IMAX opening day records in 38 countries for a worldwide IMAX total of $33 million
- Biggest Thursday preview: $60 million
- Biggest Opening day: $156.7 million
And all of this with the longest MCU runtime.
Records still to beat:
Opening weekend: Avengers: Infinity War $640.5 million worldwide, $257.7 million domestic
- Fastest to $500 million: Fate of the Furious in 3 days
- Fastest to $1 billion: Infinity War in 11 days
- Fastest to $1.5 billion: Infinity War in 18 days
- Fastest to $2 billion (currently only 4 films have passed this): Avatar in 47 days
- Fastest to $2.5 billion: (currently only Avatar has achieved this): 76 days
- Highest grossing film: Avatar $2.7 billion
It is possible Endgame could reach $1 billion worldwide on its opening weekend, clinching the title of fastest to $1 billion. And if so, what movie would be able to unseat it? Would a movie need to make $1 billion on opening day to be faster?