Close Menu
NERDBOT
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    Subscribe
    NERDBOT
    • News
      • Reviews
    • Movies & TV
    • Comics
    • Gaming
    • Collectibles
    • Science & Tech
    • Culture
    • Nerd Voices
    • About Us
      • Join the Team at Nerdbot
    NERDBOT
    Home»Movies & TV»“Top Gun: Maverick” Producers Facing Lawsuit for Breach of Contract
    Movies & TV

    “Top Gun: Maverick” Producers Facing Lawsuit for Breach of Contract

    Rick CeballosBy Rick CeballosJune 7, 20222 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Reddit WhatsApp Email

    Despite being a major cultural touchstone of the 80s, it might be surprising for some to know where the idea for “Top Gun“ came from. Despite the fact that Top Gun used to be a real Naval program, the idea to make it a movie came from a magazine article. First published in a 1983 issue of California, writer Ehud Yonay profiled pilots at Miramar in San Diego.

    Producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson licensed the article, and used it to develop the screenplay that became Tony Scott‘s hit film. With “Top Gun: Maverick” dominating at the box office, Yonay’s family is looking for a piece of the action. Yonay’s estate has filed a lawsuit claiming producers have breached the original contract, and need to pay up.

    I feel the need…the need for residuals!

    As it turns out, legal battles around the original article predates the release of “Maverick.” Yonay passed away in 2012, and his surviving family members sought to renew the copyright in 2018. By the time everything was approved in 2020, “Top Gun: Maverick” was already finished filming. The estate filed suit claiming producers had not obtained the license to use the original article for the sequel. Attorneys for the Yonay estate are seeking not just licensing fees, but additional damages as well.

    Considering how well the film is doing, the Yonay family and lawyers are not going away quietly. They have gone so far as to ask a judge for an injunction to prevent further distribution of “Maverick.” This is unlikely to happen, but it shows this case could get ugly. Paramount Pictures has publicly said the case has no merit, and will do everything they can to fight back.

    Anthony Edwards, Tom Cruise “Top Gun” Paramount Pictures

    This could prove to be a major headache for producers in the long run. Despite the convenient timing of suing one of the biggest movies right now, the case has merit. Copyright law states that authors have the right to cancel transfer agreements after 35 years. If producers and the studio are proven to have knowingly ignored the original agreement, the case could move forward.

    We’ll let you know what we hear about this and other news.

    Do You Want to Know More?

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email
    Previous ArticleGeeked Week: Karl Urban Stars in “The Sea Beast”
    Next Article Bill & Ted’s Excellent Retro Collection Coming to Consoles in Summer
    Rick Ceballos
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    “South Park” Season 29 Premieres This September on Comedy Central

    May 20, 2026

    Actor Sinqua Walls Joins “Man of Tomorrow”

    May 16, 2026

    Warner Bros. Pushes Looney Tunes Back to Theaters With Daffy Season

    May 15, 2026

    The Expendabelles Is Back, and This Time It Might Actually Happen

    May 15, 2026

    Peter Jackson Says Colbert’s “Lord of the Rings” Pitch Came Before CBS Cancellation

    May 14, 2026

    Netflix Officially Greenlit “Barbaric” Fantasy Series

    May 14, 2026
    • Latest
    • News
    • Movies
    • TV
    • Reviews

    Why VCT Knives Are the Most Wanted Melees in Valorant

    May 21, 2026

    Why Corporate Gifting Is Getting a Healthy Upgrade

    May 21, 2026

    League of Legends Boost: What It Actually Is (And Whether It’s Worth It in 2026)

    May 21, 2026
    How Can Secondary Books Support Better Academic Performance?

    How Can Secondary Books Support Better Academic Performance?

    May 21, 2026

    Gameoverse Review: Glitch Productions Has Another Hit

    May 20, 2026

    John Boyega and Cara Delevingne’s “The Punishing” Gets First Images at Cannes

    May 20, 2026

    AI-Generated Vintage Erotica Makes Its Cannes Debut

    May 20, 2026

    King Conan Gets a 2027 Production Start

    May 20, 2026
    “The Summoning,” 2025

    Urban Legend Horror Movie “The Summoning” Gets VOD Release Date

    May 20, 2026

    John Boyega and Cara Delevingne’s “The Punishing” Gets First Images at Cannes

    May 20, 2026

    AI-Generated Vintage Erotica Makes Its Cannes Debut

    May 20, 2026

    King Conan Gets a 2027 Production Start

    May 20, 2026
    "The Fourth Monkey," 2017

    The “4MK” Books Are Being Adapted by Sylvester Stallone & Channing Powell

    May 20, 2026

    Gameoverse Review: Glitch Productions Has Another Hit

    May 20, 2026

    Scooby-Doo Goes to Japan in Upcoming Anime Series

    May 20, 2026

    “South Park” Season 29 Premieres This September on Comedy Central

    May 20, 2026

    Gameoverse Review: Glitch Productions Has Another Hit

    May 20, 2026
    Is God Is

    “Is God Is” Vengeance, Violence and Voice to Black Rage [review]

    May 17, 2026

    “Mortal Kombat 2” Slight Improvement But No Flawless Victory

    May 8, 2026
    How Lucky Am I by Christian Watson

    “How Lucky Am I” by Christian Watson is a Must Read During Hard Times

    May 7, 2026
    Check Out Our Latest
      • Product Reviews
      • Reviews
      • SDCC 2021
      • SDCC 2022
    Related Posts

    None found

    NERDBOT
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    Nerdbot is owned and operated by Nerds! If you have an idea for a story or a cool project send us a holler on Editors@Nerdbot.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.