If you are really missing your jailbreaks and you haven’t tried it yet, you might like to look at Checkra1n utility. Recently released, the jailbreak supports iOS 12 to iOS 14, but you do need a Mac computer to install it. Here’s how it all works.
Things to Know:
There are a few things you need to know before you download the jailbreak on your device:
- At the moment, you can only install Checkra1n using a Mac computer. However, iOS support may be available at some time in the future.
- Checkra1n is a semi-untethered jailbreak – be aware that you will need to reactivate the utility whenever your device is rebooted, for any reason.
- The jailbreak supports all A5 to A11 64-bit devices on iOS 12.4 or higher
- If you have an iPad 2, 3, Mini, Air, or an iPhone 5S, be aware that the jailbreak is experimental on those devices at this stage
- The default package manager is Cydia, but you can add Sileo, and support for others will be included in the near future
How to Download Checkra1n Jailbreak:
Before you download the jailbreak onto your device, back your device data up. Use iTunes, iCloud, or another backup service you are happy using. Once you have done that, follow these steps to jailbreak using Checkra1n jailbreak:
- Using the proper cable, plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac computer
- You may get the Trust This Computer message on your device – say yes
- Now download Checkra1n onto your computer from the link
- Extract the contents drag the Checkra1n DMG file into your Applications folder
- Open the folder and right-click the .dmg file
- Choose Show Package Contents from the drop-down menu
- Click on Checkra1n > Contents > macOS
- Now double-click on the folder called checkra1n_gui and wait for the jailbreak utility to open
- Check that the jailbreak app recognizes your connected device and click the Start button
- You will now be told to place your device into DFU – click on Next > Start and follow the directions on the screen
- When you have successfully placed your device into DFU, the Verbose boot screen appears with the Checkra1n theme – this tells you the jailbreak has begun
- Leave your device – when it’s done, the application can be closed
- On your home screen, tap on the Checkra1n loader icon
- Tap Cydia > Install Cydia and wait – when Cydia loads on your screen, the jailbreak is done
With any luck, you can now access Cydia and start using all your favorite tweaks, mods, and more.
If you would rather use the Sileo package manager than Cydia, you need to add the repo to Cydia:
- Launch Cydia and go to the bottom of the screen
- Tap Sources
- Tap Edit >Add
- Type repo.sileoteam.apps into the URL field and tap Add Source
Once the Sileo repo is installed, Cydia is uninstalled, and the shell defaults to zsh.
Deleting Checkra1n jailbreak:
At some time or other, you might want or need to remove the jailbreak from your device. How you do this depends on your intentions. If you no longer wish to use a jailbreak, simply use iTunes to restore your device with the backup tool before jailbreaking. If, on the other hand, you need to delete it to clear an error and have every intention of reinstalling it, follow the steps below. First, though, download Cydia Eraser from Cydia – this takes the jailbreak off your device but does not change the iOS version you are currently using:
- Launch Cydia Eraser on your device and tap Delete All Data and Unjailbreak
- Tap the Delete All Option and wait – when the jailbreak has been removed, your iPhone or iPad reboots, and you will still be on your original iOS version
- Set up your device again and reinstall the jailbreak
Frequently Asked Questions
Checkra1n is one of the newer jailbreak utilities, and these answers tell you everything you need to know about it.
What is Checkra1n?
It is a jailbreak utility based on the stable checkm8 bootrom exploit. Backed by a huge community, it is a semi-untethered iOS 12 to iOS 14 jailbreak that offers a reliable experience to all users.
Can It Be Used on Windows?
No, not right now. It only has macOS support at the moment, and that isn’t likely to change any time soon. However, the developers have mentioned they will be working on a Windows version at some point – for now, Windows users can try the Unc0ver jailbreak.
Is Checkra1n Safe?
Yes. It has been properly tested, is completely reliable, stable, and safe, but you must back your data up before you use it, just like you would any jailbreak utility.
Try Checkra1n jailbreak on your device today. If you’ve missed using Cydia, this jailbreak is a great way to reintroduce yourself.