Ten to fifteen years ago most businesses had no idea about the importance and usefulness of explainer videos. But now, in this day and age, almost every single business has been making use of mobile app explainer videos in their marketing strategies. This is because they are known to increase the conversion rate for mobile apps, hence creating a better return on investment (ROI) for the company.
- Explainer videos themselves are short animated videos that explain what your app is about and how it works; showcase app features and benefits in simple terms, etc. This is a great way to promote your Android or iOS-based app increasing user sign-ups and improving your app rating.
According to an annual State of Video Marketing Survey, around 86% of all B2C and B2B businesses use a video as a powerful marketing tool. Moreover, it is stated that the most frequently created types of video are explainer videos. But the most impressive thing about using explainers for SaaS is that you can increase brand awareness and help users understand your product, which in turn will generate more leads and directly increase sales. Let’s look through a brief tutorial on creating an app explainer video by yourself:
Step #1: Decide What to Include in the Video and How Long It Will Be
The best mobile app explainer videos are the ones that are quickly understood and help attract new users in a way that makes them want to go and check the key features themselves. For this reason, when making video content, remember that you have little time to get your message across since people’s attention quickly dissipates. The best length of the explainer video would be approximately 60-120 seconds to easily digest your message.
In addition, while thinking about the content of the video, keep the core value in mind. Almost all explainers for SaaS aim to demonstrate the best features of the app and convince users to download it, but you also need to talk about what the user can get out of using this app. That is why it would be worth telling them how this app can actually solve their problems.
Step #2: Make a Storyboard
What is a storyboard? Well, it’s the blueprint for your mobile app explainer video, or, in other words, a visual representation of all scenes that are going to be shot. A storyboard can help a lot to brainstorm ideas with other team members before getting started. This is where you can take your ideas for the video and start layering them together, creating a visual representation of how the finished video will look.
You can use a simple pen and paper or make it more interesting using a storyboard software tool like Adobe Photoshop, Artemis Pro, etc. Just draw each screen with instructions on what you will show, who will be talking, what the average shot length will be, and what the final result should look like. This way, you’ll get a better understanding of the whole flow of your video and can make all the necessary arrangements before moving to the actual shoot.
Step #3: Write a Scenario
The scenario is the backbone of your explainer for SaaS. By writing a script, you can make sure that you cover all the important details as well as avoid going off on tangents. It can be unscripted or voice-over, depending upon what you need. But if you feel that your storyboard is strong enough to tell a story, you can do without a voice-over script. The voice-over script narrates what happens or explains a certain concept or product in detail. This will help you stay organized and keep everything in one place. You can then go back and see if your new ideas fit with what you have already written, so nothing ends up being left out.
Step #4: Prepare a Voiceover
Once you’ve made the script and storyboard, it’s time to get into recording. The kind of voice you choose for your mobile app explainer video can have a dramatic impact on the perception of your product. You have two options — 1) record a voiceover yourself or 2) hire a professional to do it for you.
If you have enough budget, you’d rather hire a professional voice actor to make the best of it. Choosing a narrator whose voice is soft and calm will make the viewers’ experience pleasant and enable them to focus on the core message without unhandled interruptions.
Alternatively, if you do not want to spend any money on voice actors or sound editing, you can record the voice-over yourself. All you need is audio recording software like Adobe Audition, Sony Sound Forge, or ProTools, and a high-quality microphone. Don’t forget to turn off all the noisy elements in the recording room and be confident while reading out the script.
Step #5: Go On to the Mobile App Explainer Video Itself
Some companies prefer to use live-action video to showcase their app, while others like animation or screencast format, let’s understand:
- A live-action explainer video has emerged as one of the most effective ways to spark interest and create excitement around your app. It includes real people, places, and live demonstrations of your product. The real-life visuals and animations will help viewers visualize themselves using your app and overall make the video more engaging.
- A screencast explainer video is another great way to show your app to the world. It uses the screen of a particular device to demonstrate how someone is using your product highlighting its pros and cons, as well as clearly show how various elements of your app work on the phone including lists, scroll bars, buttons, etc. A screencast video is usually produced by using the built-in screen recording facility of software such as Screenr, Camtasia, or Screenflow.
- An animation explainer video has an engaging storyline that usually makes the user want to learn more about how your app really works within the first twenty seconds. However, it’s very important that such a video is professionally made by someone who is both creative and extremely detail-oriented, who is not afraid to experiment, and who has a very specific vision of your app’s animation style. This is a time-consuming process and requires a unique skill set with a proven track record of delivering high-quality work.
Once you have decided what kind of video style to use, you can then go on to the creation of an explainer video itself.
Step #6: A Final Touch
Great music for your mobile app explainer video can add life to the presentation. Moreover, with its help, you can easily personalize the mood and the feel of your video. All you need is to select the right kind of music according to what vibe you want to evoke and how you want your explainer video to be perceived by people.
Now that you have all your work done, it’s time to edit your explainer for SaaS. Editing is the final but no less important part of the whole process because if you don’t edit it well enough, then all of your efforts go down the drain. With just a few adjustments, you can polish your mobile app explainer videos from nowhere to an award-winning standard.
Why Is It Better to Hire a Professional to Make an Explainer Video for You?
There are many reasons why hiring a professional to create, for example, a medical explainer video is better than doing it yourself. Here are some of them:
- Combined efforts of the professional team — Making explainer videos is a team effort, so having the right person with a unique skill set in the corner of your office makes all the difference.
- The invaluable wealth of experience — Whether it’s animation, live action, or screencast explainer video, who knows best what are the nuances of creating a high-quality video? That’s right — people who work in that field for more than one year. They understand what works and what doesn’t, which you may have no idea about all by yourself since it’s not a core business for you.
- The emphasis on the brand — A professional agency has an inimitable and compelling way of demonstrating your app that can make it stand out from the crowd with the help of a unique concept for your brand.
- Firmly adhering to the plan — Just think about all the steps involved — from creating a script to editing and animation! If you skip any of these steps, your video won’t be as compelling and effective, which in turn will hurt its ability to boost sales.
- Don’t waste your own time — The techniques used by professionals, including branding yourself, creating a story out of complex ideas, simplifying complicated concepts, designing compelling graphics and animations, delivering messages using appealing voiceovers, etc, take tons of effort. While this may sound like a lot of wasted time for you, it is something that the professional team has mastered over years.
- High quality — They guarantee high quality, realistic animation, and pleasant voiceovers by professional voice actors. Each aspect of the video is taken care of, from conceptualizing the idea to crafting it into a final piece.
- Considering human psychology — What separates the best from the rest is how effectively a professional understands human psychology and how successfully he implements it in his work.
- Specialist equipment and software — Another main reason is the cost of equipment and software needed to create a video. By hiring the best experts in the business who are equipped with high-end tools and equipment, you get rid of the need to buy it yourself.
Where Do I Go to Make the Best App Explainer Video?
You don’t have to go anywhere, since the solution is right here — Zelios agency. It is so much easier when you have a company that actually focuses on creating awesome explainer videos, right?
Let’s point it out again if you want to help your potential customers understand the purpose of your app and what benefits they will get from it a mobile app explainer video. If you want to create an eye-catching and high-quality explainer video Zelios agency.
With almost 5 years of experience in the industry and over 120 projects for satisfied clients, we are the best in the industry. All you have to do is just leave the work to our Zelios team and we will do everything for you — from a unique concept to innovative artistic design and top-notch animation. Our team will carefully work with you to come up with a creative concept that will capture your target audience’s attention and deliver a clear message about your product. So why are you still waiting?