Physical media is one of those things we’ll forever be in favor of. Know how some of the streaming services started removing titles? Obviously owning a DVD, Blu-ray, and/or 4K of something means you SHOULD be able to continue to watch it. This is what’s been so interesting about Netflix suddenly offering physical releases of some of their most recent titles, like “The Sandman” and “Cobra Kai.”
This brings us to the news that Guillermo del Toro‘s recent “Pinocchio” take for the streaming service IS in fact getting a physical release. Thanks to Criterion, you’ll be able to have the film on your shelf.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- 4K digital master, supervised by directors Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson, with Dolby Atmos
- One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
- Handcarved Cinema, a new documentary featuring del Toro, Gustafson, and cast and crew, including the film’s puppet creators, production designers, and animation supervisor
- Directing Stop-Motion, a new program featuring del Toro and Gustafson
- New conversation between del Toro and film critic Farran Smith Nehme
- New interview with curator Ron Magliozzi on The Museum of Modern Art’s 2022 exhibition devoted to the film
- New program on the eight rules of animation that informed the film’s production
- Panel discussion featuring del Toro, Gustafson, production designer Guy Davis, composer Alexandre Desplat, and sound designer Scott Martin Gershin, moderated by filmmaker James Cameron
- Conversation among del Toro, Gustafson, and author Neil Gaiman
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing and English descriptive audio
- PLUS: Essays by film critic Matt Zoller Seitz and author Cornelia Funke
GdT’s “Pinocchio” is coming to 4K UHD plus Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD on December 12th, 2023. It’s available to pre-order from Criterion’s website now.