The sphere of digital video advertising is highly competitive, and, at the same time, one cannot do without having high-quality video ads. However, there are many possibilities to create short video ads by yourself, and we are going to share the most useful tips below.
Where to start?
Creating videos for advertising always starts, of course, with thinking about the overall concept. What will be the main idea? What will be in your video? It would also be useful to write a short script and make a storyboard for clarity and convenience.
Where can one get video footage? There are several options:
- Record a video yourself. This is, perhaps, the most time-consuming path, which, however, can lead to good results if you have the necessary equipment, abilities, and skills.
- Hire professional cameramen and actors. The result will be of high quality, but it is not cheap.
- You can compromise and use one of the stock video banks. These are websites where you can find beautifully shot and edited videos on almost any topic at a very reasonable price.
What works best on the Internet?
Even if you do not plan to be especially creative, a video built according to a typical scenario will work just because it will be understandable to the viewer. Here are the most popular plotting techniques:
- Show the product in action. This approach is ideal for new or complex products. It works in all niches where potential clients may have a question: ‘Why do I need this?’
- Compare before and after. It is effective in beauty topics, promotion of fitness products, and other things where customers pay not so much for the product itself but for the effect.
- Tell about the product. An effective technique is to record a video where some expert in a language understandable to the audience offers something and explains why it is worth the money.
- Story. You can create a story without special effects and extras but not without a clear script. However, it is this type of promotional video that is the most viral and selling because it is built on working with emotions. Due to the lack of direct sales, viewers are more willing to watch such videos, share with friends, gain confidence in the promoted product, and buy.
- Comparison or competition. This technique can also be used without actors and crew. Its essence is to first tell and show the imperfections of the alternatives of your offer and then, against such a nondescript background, demonstrate that your product does not and cannot have such shortcomings.
Creation of a short video ad: Step by step
Download and install a commercial video maker
Download the video editor, open the installation file, and follow the installation instructions.
Add video to the program
Click the Add Files button and upload the video to the editor. Drag the ones you want to the timeline at the bottom of the window.
Cut the video, remove unnecessary parts
To cut a video, click on it on the timeline, set the red marker at the desired point, and click on the scissors icon. The video clip will be cut into two parts at the point you selected. Thus, you can cut the video anywhere and into any number of parts.
The video will look smoother if you connect its fragments with animated transitions. Transitions are added between two video clips, but you can also add a transition at the end of a video.
To make your video look more impressive, you can apply special filters to the video: for example, the effect of retro shooting or noise, like on old video cassettes.
Voice your video
If your microphone is connected to your computer, the video editor will recognize it.
Add music and sounds
Music plays an important role in the final experience of any video and will certainly enhance the emotional impact of the ad. Add music from the built-in collection and select the desired sound effects. If you want to use another soundtrack, add it from a folder on your computer.
You can add text to a separate title track or a video track.
At last, save the video and watch it by yourself to make sure that the result is satisfactory.