How to Use AltStore App to Install IPA Files on iPhone
If you’re looking for a new way to get unofficial apps onto your device, then look no further. AltStore is a windows-based app that helps you sideload unsigned IPA files on to your iPhone or iPad. And, unlike many other similar apps, it will work if you have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID.
What is AltStore?
It is a free alternative to Cydia Impactor used for sideloading and signing unsigned IPA files onto your device. It is dead simple to use, and you will require just a few things – your Apple ID, the file you want to sign, your iPhone or iPad UDID, and an up to date version of iTunes installed on your computer.
If you enabled two-factor authentication on your device, Apple would provide you with a verification code ( 6-digits ) that you must also enter. The cool thing is that if you have more than one Apple account, the software can work with it, and it will save all the information relating to when the signed packages expire, usually within seven days.
What does that mean?
If you have a free Apple ID, you can install up to three unsigned apps, and the certificates will be revoked – every seven days, you must reconnect your device and computer and resign the app. You don’t have to delete the app and start over; the app itself is not revoked and, once you have resigned it, all your app or game information will be just as you left it.
Be aware that you must use the same Apple ID and UDID to install the app and sign the files. If you have multiple Apple IDs, repeat the process for each one. And your device must be on a lower firmware version than iOS 13.3.1 – anything later, and some files won’t install properly.
Let’s move on
How to Download and Use AltStore:
AltStore is a Windows-only app. You do not need to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad and, using a free Apple ID, you can sign up to three apps on each Apple ID. And you download those IPA files to your device before you start. Here’s how to do it
- On your Windows PC, download AltStore and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
- Make sure you have the most up to date version of iTunes on your PC; if you are unsure, open iTunes>Help>Check for Updates – if there’s an update, iTunes will guide you in installing it.
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into your computer and launch AltStore
- Type in your Apple ID and password
- Provide the UDID for the connected device
- Choose the IPA file you want to install by clicking Browse and clicking the file.
- Click on Start and wait.
- If you have two-factor authentication enabled, you will get a 6-digit verification code on your device from Apple – enter this.
- Once the installation is complete, the app/s you chose should be on your device.
A note – if the signing process is not successful, clear your cache and tries again.
But wait, there’s more.
How to Fix Untrusted Developer Error:
Because AltStore and the IPA files you install are not official, Apple will not recognize the developers. This stops you from using the app until you solve the error.
- Open Settings on your device
- Tap on General > Device Management
- Find and tap the relevant profile in the list.
- Tap on Trust and Close Settings – the app is now ready to use.
Over to you
AltStore works in much the same way as Cydia Impactor and is a simple way of installing unsigned files onto your iPhone or iPad. Try it today, and let us know how you get on with it. For more iPhone and iPad tips, follow us on Facebook.